What is a better way to enjoy your weekend anywhere but in your backyard? The cool sunny morning, having nice grilled pancakes and eggs, kids running around, what a perfect day! Even if you are a bachelor, imagining a day outside the city with your mates, enjoying food like home! Let me whisper the secret name, flat top grills.
You might think have you gone crazy? Well, I am not! Because there is a perfect product that can help you enjoy your weekends and holidays outside enjoying the beautiful weather! Since, where I live there is no snow in winters, I love to cook outside. My life became easier with a flat top grill! There are both indoor and outdoor flat-top grills, that make your life easier than ever! Be it steaks, or eggs just one cooking utensil and you are good to go!
Flat top gas grills are perfect for cooking literally anything! Steaks, pancakes, vegetables, lamb, shrimps, fishes, chops, and what not! You name it and it can make it for you along with a pleasant experience. But man, there are so many options on Amazon, that it nearly makes it impossible to select the best flat top grill.
How We Selected These Flat-Top Grills
While making our recommendations for flat top grills, we relied on our extensive grill testing and familiarity with well-known brands. We picked grills in different sizes and price points, as well as portable models, so everyone could find something they liked. Finally, we recommend models based on hundreds of positive reviews.
10 Best Flat Top Grills (Reviews)
Here is the list of best flat-top grills that you can buy from, making your cooking experience awesome than ever! But before we dive into the best grills with flat tops, it is essential to know the tops to the best portable flat-top grills.
1. Blackstone Tabletop Grill – 17 Inch Portable Gas Grill
If you are looking for a flat top grill that can be used both indoors and outdoors, a Blackstone tabletop grill is the way to go. Its tiny size of 17.5 x 18 x 8.5 inches, and weight of 21 pounds makes it the best portable flat top grill. The built-in electric ignitor along with 1-pound propane bottles makes it easier to use for a long time.
The size of the griller is 260 sq. inches, which is perfect for small families and friends gathering. It can be characterized as both an indoor and outdoor flat top grill, that is perfect for all types of gatherings. It is so small that it can easily fit in your kitchen cabinet. It has an “H” shaped burner position, which ensures that the surface heats evenly.
One of the complaints that people make is that their griddle does not heat the surface uniformly. With Blackstone tabletop grill, you do not have to worry about this issue ever. The 12,000 BTU heating output is perfect for your cooking experience.
- It is not much expensive hence it is in your budget
- Ideal for small families for even everyday grilling
- Easy to use and clean both
- You can take it anywhere, even if it is a long trip
- 1-lb propane bottle storage helps it to run for a significant timeh
- It is not pre-seasoned. However, the even heating system makes it easier to heat. You just need to use flaxseed oil and turn on the oven at 500 C
- The sides of the griddle heat up a little, so be careful
It is the perfect best electric flat top grill for both outdoor and indoor cooking. For small families and gatherings, and even for the everyday cooking experience, it works perfectly. Just toss those bacon, eggs, and bread on the griddle and get ready to enjoy a perfect breakfast meal.
2. Royal Gourmet GB8000 – Best For Large Spaces
Next on the list is the ”ALL-ROYAL” Royal Gourmet GB8000. As the name suggests it truly royal and gives you a royal cooking feel! It has 8 burners which not only give you 104,000 BTU heat to cook but the heat spreads evenly on the tray to ensure proper cooking.
The 950 sq. inches tray is perfect for large gatherings. It comes with folding tables, which work perfectly for prepping the grilling material. You can grill, and smoke, at the same time because of its large surface. It has trays at the bottom, giving you perfect space to store food and other grilling items.
- A gas grill is of large size
- It has a large dripping pan
- 8 burners producing enough heat to cook for large gatherings
- Warranty is of lesser time as compared to its competitors
- It has no accessory to convert it into a griddle
- You need some time to assemble it
The griller is ideal for large gatherings. Although the storage can be a problem if you host large friends and family gatherings there is nothing like this product.
3. Weber Spirit E-210 – Best Value For the Money
Weber Spirit E-210 is another best flat top grill in the market. It comes with two burners each with 13,250 BTU. Although the images show a lid, it does not come with one. Unlike other products, it is easier to assemble. The two folding tables on the side help to keep the food or plates or practically anything you want.
It can easily be stored in your kitchen or any storage room as it does not need much room. This best electric flat top grill also has a thermometer and a propane tank, which helps you to use it the way you like it.
- Great value for given price
- It is easy to use
- The side tables are foldable
- It runs on 20lbs propane tanks
- It has only two burners which can be an issue for people while adjusting temperature
For small couples and gatherings, this griller is perfect. You do not have to worry about anything as it has a thermometer as well. Speaking of the price, it is the best value for money.
4. Blackstone 4 Burner Flat Top Gas Grill – Best Adjustable Zone Grill
Just like the other Blackstone grillers and griddles, this model is also a flat top griddle. It comes with four burners, each with 15, 000 BTU power for heat. There is a foldable tray on one side which is used as a garbage bag holder. However, when you unfold it there is a small area to attach the kitchen towel roll for easy access.
The best part of any Blackstone griddles is that it keeps the user’s convenience in mind and not just the grilling experience. There are no issues reported of lesser heat or no proper heat for various food items. You can cook almost anything on this griddle.
- It is a high-quality restaurant-style griddle
- Good value for money
- Highly durable and stable
- It is not pre-seasoned
- You need to make sure it is seasoned correctly whenever you take it out for use
I might sound biased by Blackstone griddles are perfect including this one. With the trash bag holder, tissue holder, along high-powered burners and no heat and cleaning issues, this is no doubt the best griddle out there.
5. Cuisinart Stainless Steel Round Flat Top Grill – Best Space Saver
As opposed to traditional square-shaped griddles, Cuisinart CGG-888 has stainless steel 21-inch circle flat top grill. It is one of my favorite griddles, as it has a round steel lid which helps to keep the steam inside for faster cooking. Smoke, grill, & steam practically cook any way you like. The non-greasy ensures that no grease is formed on the surface.
The best part is no oil or juices from the food drip into the burner, giving hard time for you to clean. With 2 burners for heat adjustment and a temperature range of 200 to 500 C, this is perfect for a gathering of around 10 to 12 people.
It has a foldable side table which makes it easier to prep the food, and store cooking essentials beneath. You can assemble it in around 30 to 35 minutes. It has a good height but minimal width making it easier to store, in your storage room. From pizza to eggs, and bacon, Cuisinart CGG-888 is the best outdoor flat top grill to do it!
- 30,000 BTU gives the perfect temperature for cooking
- The slim and circular surface gives a stylish touch
- Easier and faster to assemble
- Non-greasy surface
- It has a small diameter of 380 sq. inches
- Packaging needs to improve as some consumers have complained of damaged parts
The sleek design and lid make it easier for different types of cooking. It is ideal for close friends gathering. I love how it is easier to store and can be used both indoors and outdoors. Since propane is not used, I am relieved of any causalities.
6. Char-Broil Performance Stainless Steel
Char-Broil Performance is one of the most efficient and safe grills out there. It comes with four burners which allow you to adjust the temperature as you like it. Each burner produces 10,000 BTU of heat, giving you the power of grilling anything you like. It has the design of a classic griller. With a huge square-shaped lid, you can use it for grilling, cooking, and smoking. It does not have a propane tank, which is a letdown.
However, it uses propane or LPG to heat up, making it the best propane flat top grill. A porcelain-coated grease pan is removable which overall increases the durability of the grill. The electric flat top grill makes it easier to give even heat to all the foods. It also has a prep table, which gives you an easier way to prep your food. Notice the temperature, adjust the burner, and get to cooking.
- Easier to assemble
- It has long durability and flexibility
- The thermometer helps to ensure the ideal temperature is reached
- They cannot handle too much weight on the prep table
- Uneven fire distribution
- Consumers have reported packaging and shipping issues
This is a perfect indoor flat top grill. It gives the smokiness to the food that it needs. However, it has packaging and shipping issues. Also, some consumers have reported uneven heating issues, which if resolved make it the perfect product. However, the heating issues can be resolved if burners are turned on as needed.
7. Blackstone 1554 Flat Top Grill – Best Overall
If you have large family gatherings with everyone with a different taste and liking for food, Blackstone 1555 flat top is your best bet. It has four burners that allow reaching the heat of around 60,000 BTU. The two foldable side tables give perfect space to store extra stuff while cooking. You can store it anywhere as the legs of the grill are foldable, making it the best portable flat-top grill.
The grill is constructed with a black powder-coated steel frame with a cold-rolled steel cooking surface, increasing its overall durability. Since it is a griddle and not a griller, it allows you to cook practically anything you like! The griddle top is removable and hence, easier to clean. Cartwheels make it easier to move around. The best part is it heats the surface evenly. It is a perfect outdoor flat top grill.
CAUTION: Do not use it inside the home.
- 4 burners give complete power to adjust the heat
- Steam, smoke, grill anything you like
- It is also perfect to make roti
- Easier to move around
- There is no thermostat or something to keep track of the temperature
It is perfect for outdoor cooking and large family gatherings. If you want a budget-friendly, yet long-term griller, this one is the best option to go for!
8. Cuisinart CGG-306 Professional Flat Top Grill – Best Portable
Cuisinart CG-306 is a small yet the best portable flat-top grill. It comes with two burners capable of producing 10,000 BTU of heat each. The lid makes it easier to keep the smoke inside. Since it is a griller and not a griddle, it cannot be used inside the house. It is lightweight and portable, making it perfect for traveling as well.
It is not electrically powered so it comes with a 3.5-foot LP hose to connect the grill to the propane tank. However, a propane tank is not included. Furthermore, a thermostat included helps to keep track of the temperature inside the grid.
- Portable and hence easier to carry
- Lightweight (22 lbs. only)
- A three-year limited warranty at this price is a perfect griller to buy
- The lid might have been a little taller to give more room for smoke to build
- For people living near the sea, it is not a long-term griller to go for
It is a perfect portable flat top grill. You can take it anywhere you like, even if you are going camping. It is easier to store even in your kitchen cabinet. The best part is it can be used indoors, only if the propane tank is stored outside the kitchen door.
9. Royal Gourmet 4-Burner Flat Top Grill – Best For Budget
The royal Gourmet is one of the best flat-top grills available in the market. It is stylish, movable, consists of trays, hooks, and removable trays to clean the bottom region. Unlike other grillers, it does not have a removable griddle tray, which makes the cleaning a little tough. The four independent burners are perfect for cooking anything with each having a BTU of 13, 000. It is made of grease-free materials, which make the whole cleaning process easier.
- It is pre-seasoned
- The two side tables make the cooking process easier
- Two-level shelfs further relax the user of any extra movement from in and out of the house
- It is hard to assemble
- The grease might overflow
After Blackstone, Royal griddles and grillers are the best choices as they come pre-seasoned. This is perfect for medium-sized family gatherings. However, the storage can be a little issue if you want to use it frequently.
Factors to Keep In Mind When Looking for the Best Flat Top Grills
This buying guide will help you get the best flat top grill for your needs:
British Thermal Unit
Check the BTU if your selected flat top grill. For an outdoor flat top grill, 10,000 BTU is recommended. Whereas for indoor flat top grill less than 10,000 BTU also works fine.
Make sure your griller heats the grill top evenly. There are many grillers that have problems with uneven heating, which causes the food to burn or remain raw in certain regions.
Ensure that your griller is made up of corrosive resistant and heavy gauge material like stainless steel. Also, make sure the griller is designed in a way that is retainable.
The griller you buy must be free from any grease flare-ups. It is better if it has a grease patch for collecting the grease. If a griller has a thermometer, it also ensures that the overall temperature of the griller does not exceed the limits.
Cooking Plate Thickness
To make sure your food does not burn or stick to the griller, the cooking plate should be greater than equal to 0.75 inches.
More than 1 burner ensures that the heat can be adjusted easily. However, if you have a huge gathering go for one with at least four burners.
The best flat-top grills are easier to maintain and clean. It should not store grease and even if in any way grease sticks it must be easier to clean.
How to Season a flat top grill
One of the biggest concerns of people is how to season a flat top grill? If you are new to grilling and don’t know what seasoning a griller means, then don’t worry; we’ve got your back. Seasoning is the process of heating and oiling the griller so that it operates at its best and is protected from rust and any other damage.
It also makes the griller easier to clean. When you season your flat top grill, you increase the life of your griller. People who do not season their griller often face early rusting and must buy a new flat-top griller sooner than later.
To season a flat top grill, first heat the griller and oil on it. Allow the oil to heat on the flat top grill for around 30 to 40 minutes. Since we need to heat the oil for a long time to season the flat top grill, you must ensure that the oil you use can be heated for a long time.
Therefore, the best choice for flat top grill seasoning oil is canola or peanut oil. Other choices include vegetable or sunflower oil. These oils have a heating point of 450 Fahrenheit, making them perfect for seasoning. The seasoning also helps to impart a smoky flavor to the grill. The griller will start becoming dark when you season it, which is a clear sign that you are seasoning it right.
How to Clean A Flat Top Grill
Another concern that people have while buying a flat top grill is how to clean it. Since it’s different from a traditional how to clean a flat top grill
The griller and the grill are attached, then how to clean it. Also, the traditional griller has easy access to coals, which many assume is hard to do in the flat top grill. A flat top grill is easier to clean. It is easier to clean than a traditional griller.
How to Clean A Flat Top Grill
First, let your griller cool down. Make sure the temperature is around 300 to 350 Fahrenheit. Once it’s cooled down to such a temperature, use the griddle scraper to scrape any meat or food stuck on the grill. Do not scrape it hard, as it can remove the coating on the grill.
Afterward, take some detergent (try taking a liquid dishwasher as it is mild) and mix it with water at room temperature. Rub this mixture lightly on the grill. By using a soft scrubbing pad, scrub the flat top grill. Scrape all the rubble on the griller.
Once done, use water directly on the flat top grill. Do not run water fast; by slowly pouring water, clean it using your hands. Once you have cleaned it with water, use a clean cloth and wipe all the remaining water/detergent or dirt.
It is important to note that a flat top grill also has an area for coal, or in some cases, it has a burner connected to an external propane supply. It would help if you also cleaned the coal area for a coal-based flat top grill. Most coal-based flat top grills come up with a removable tray for coals. For such flat-top grills, let your griller cool down completely.
You can sprinkle some water to confirm that the griller has cooled down. If sprinkling water releases little or no smoke, you can remove and clean the coals. It is better to clean the coal tray directly under the tap water by applying detergent. However, make sure that the detergent is mild.
On the other hand, for a gas-based flat top grill, you don’t need to clean any tray or anything. However, ensure that the pipe in the external propane tank is wiped clean with a dry cloth. To increase the life of your flat top grill, keep your flat top grill as much as possible and season it correctly.
How To Clean a flat top grill without chemicals
Many people don’t want to spoil their flat top grill by using chemicals. I must say they are making the right choice. Using ingredients in your kitchen can easily clean your flat top grill. You need a spray bottle; if you have one, grab it and get into your kitchen:
- Take 1 or 2 cups of vinegar into a spray bottle. You can take any amount but ensure that water is taken in equal proportion.
- Now add 1 or 2 cups of water to the vinegar spray bottle. Mix the two ingredients rigorously.
- Now spray the mixture on the grill and let them saturate for around 10 minutes.
- Once the mixture saturates, take vinegar only in another spray bottle.
- Spray vinegar and scrub the debris gently.
- Once removed, you are good to go. There is no need to rinse it afterward.
How to Clean Griddle Rust?
Many times, despite taking the perfect care of your flat top grill, you face the issue of rust. Although it may seem a little tricky to get rid of, it’s not much of an issue with the right cleaning supplies. All you need is:
- Heat-resistant gloves.
- Cooking oil
- Grill stones
- Paper towel, and
- Metal scraper
Once you have all these products, you are ready to get rid of that rust:
- Heat your grill at high flame for around 20 to 30 minutes. It will cause most of the rust to come out from the surface.
- Once done, let the grill cool down. Afterwards, scrub it with a metal scraper.
- Drop some oil, 4 to 5 tablespoons, and scrub the surface with a griddle stone. A strong scrubber can also be used if you don’t have one.
- Although it’s a lot of work, this little effort will make your grill as good as a new one.
- Once done, clean it with a cloth or paper towel.
- To make sure it does not rust again, season it again. Seasoning your flat top grill makes sure that it does not rust.
This cleaning hack is perfect for the worst. Even if you are searching for how to clean Blackstone griddle rust, this method works perfectly for this brand.
How to Prevent My Griddle from Rusting?
To ensure your griddle does not rust again, you can use the following tips:
- Once you’ve cleaned your griddle, drip some drops of oil and pat it with a paper towel.
- Clean it once a month at least if you don’t use it regularly.
- Try to keep it in a dry place with little or no humidity.
The best products from the discussed products are Blackstone Tabletop Grill – 17 Inch Portable Gas Griddle, CUISINART CGG-888, and Royal Gourmet GB8000. The reason for naming the top 3 picks is that they fit perfectly well with the buying guide and tips provided. A flat-top grill makes your flat-top cooking experience worth the effort!
- It is not much expensive hence it is in your budget.
- Easy to use and clean both
- The slim and circular surface gives a stylish touch.
- Easier and faster to assemble.
- It has a large dripping pan
- 8 burners producing enough heat to cook for large gatherings.